As we head into fall here at Mansilla Medical, we wanted to remind you of the importance of staying up-to-date on your vaccinations, in particular, receiving your annual flu shot and COVID-19 vaccination.
The annual flu shot remains a mainstay of preventive wellness. It is generally accepted as the best way to reduce your risk of contracting influenza, minimize the risk of serious flu-related complications, and reduce the severity of the virus if you become ill. Though most of the world is focused on the novel coronavirus (and rightly so), the flu remains a real and potentially serious threat.
In addition to an annual flu shot, other vaccinations recommended for adults are as follows:
- 2 doses, 3rd booster shot recommended for those immunocompromised and over 65 years old
- Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap or Td)
- 1 dose Tdap each pregnancy; 1 dose Td/Tdap for wound management
- 1 dose Tdap, then Td or Tdap booster every 10 years
- Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)**
- 1 or 2 doses depending on indication if born in 1957 or later)
- Varicella (Chickenpox)**
- 2 doses (if born in 1980 or later)
- Zoster Recombinant (Shingles/RSV)**
- 2 doses for those over age 50
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)**
- Ages 19-26: 2 or 3 doses depending upon age at initial vaccination or condition
- Ages 27-45: 1 dose
- Pneumococcal Conjugate (PCV13) for adults over age 65
- Pneumococcal Polysaccharide (PPSV23) for adults over age 65, or are immunocompromised, or are smokers.
Many of these vaccines are available at Mansilla Medical and are available to you when you make an appointment. If you have certain health conditions, your healthcare provider may make other recommendations as well.
We value your health and well-being at Mansilla Medical. We will work with you to make sure you’re the healthiest “You” you can be!